We have an exciting full-time opportunity for a Marketing Manager to join SciLine.
Reporting to the Deputy Director for News & Operations, SciLine’s Marketing Manager will create, execute, and annually update a strategy to elevate our fast-evolving organization to a new level of reach and reputation. The ideal candidate will have: a broad understanding of industry-standard and emerging marketing tools and tactics; the skills to apply these approaches to reach and influence our target audiences (journalists and scientists); enthusiasm about advancing a public-service oriented mission; commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, which is central to that mission; and an interest in growth and leadership potential as we build-out our programs and staff.
The new hire will be directly responsible for raising the marketing game of this young but increasingly influential program, helping us become an even more widely recognized, trusted, and relied-upon service.
What You'll Do
- Create and annually update a marketing strategy for SciLine aimed at building brand awareness and facilitating growth in demand across our full spectrum of services, which already engage thousands of U.S. journalists and North-America-based scientists.
- Work directly with SciLine leadership and staff to execute that strategy in alignment with our programmatic goals.
- Manage SciLine’s marketing budget, including day-to-day decisions about paid ads and promotions.
- Lead tactical implementation of SciLine’s marketing activities, including planning and publishing bulk-emails, social media ads, web and banner ads, and third-party promotions.
- Research and identify new marketing prospects, including sponsorships and outreach opportunities at conferences, events, and external meetings.
- Serve as primary liaison and relationship manager with advertising partners.
- Lead the development and distribution of a SciLine newsletter, to include research into possible approaches to audience segmentation.
- Create promotional materials, including print, multimedia, and branded products.
- Schedule and coordinate SciLine’s ads and promotions across digital channels – including our website, sciline.org, and multiple social media platforms (e.g., Twitter, LinkedIn, Reddit).
- Track the impact and ROI of marketing activities, and adapt strategy as appropriate.
- Research and implement new methods for tracking the reach and influence of SciLine’s work.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field;
- 4-5 years of experience in service-related marketing;
- Demonstrated expertise with direct email marketing, social media advertising, third-party promotions, and other strategies for building brand awareness and driving user engagement;
- Demonstrated expertise in positive relationship building with partners and customers;
- Experience using SalesForce, MailChimp, and WordPress, a plus;
- Experience executing paid social media ads, a plus;
- Interest in the cultures and professional practices of journalism and/or academic science is a plus, including sensitivity to issues relating to scientific and journalistic integrity and the importance of connecting public-service journalism to underserved communities;
- Ability to work independently and on deadline, but also enthusiastic about being part of a tight-knit, collaborative team.
Submit a resume and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by November 21, 2021. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A Recruiter will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview.
DC Metro Area is strongly preferred but open to remote workers in select states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where AAAS has a business presence, you may not be eligible for this position. Please contact our Talent Team at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding your eligibility.
The anticipated initial rate of compensation for this position is between $80,000 and $90,000 per year. AAAS currently provides the following benefits for this position: paid vacation leave, paid sick leave, paid holidays, health insurance, flexible spending account, dental insurance, life insurance, vision insurance, retirement benefits, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance, each subject to the terms of the applicable program. Additional benefits may apply.
Any actual offer of employment, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be made in the sole discretion of AAAS and will be based on a variety of factors, including years of experience, depth of experience, and other relevant factors. AAAS reserves the right to amend or modify its employment benefits and compensation structure at any time.
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. No visa sponsorship is available for this position.